There are more people in our history than ever before who are currently suffering from chronic pain and some don’t even know it. Chronic pain is a very complex issue and I felt that it would be helpful to list some tell-tale signs to help you determine if you are in chronic pain. These are in no way indicative of every single person and many of these signs are based on research I have done on the subject as well as from some of my own personal experience.
1. The pain that once came and went is now consistently and incessantly always there
2. Nothing you do…whether OTC (over-the-counter) pain medication or rest seems to make it go away
3. You have now resorted to prescription pain medication so you can function in your day-to-day life
4. The pain has been around for so long that your body has built up a tolerance to the pain that is now just nagging and annoying, but still very much there
5. When you visit your doctor, they may not be able to specifically pinpoint where the pain is coming from even if tissues have healed
6. All of the pain may just be in your head
7. The greater the amount of stress you carry, the more likely the chronic pain will persist
8. It is not always the result of an injury, this could have been building up for years!
9. It taunts you even in your sleep
10. You may be even suffering from depression or a low quality of life due to chronic pain
It is helpful to evaluate these signs and determine if you are a victim of chronic pain. If you are or if you know someone who is suffering from chronic pain, there are several things that can be done, but they require discipline, commitment and sometimes even a lifestyle change to make the positive changes you seek.
It may be helpful to watch this short video on chronic pain which does a great job providing five ways you can alleviate chronic pain out of your life.
If you are in the local area of Oakland or Berkeley, you are welcome to take part in a workshop I am offering twice this month called Transform Your Form which will combine the elements of Yoga Tune Up® and Restorative Exercise™ to help implement lasting changes in your form for the better. I will be planning on rolling out a series of Transform Your Form therapeutic series workshops in the coming year, so stay tuned! Here is the link to get more information and I hope the info above is a helpful guide for you or your loved ones in helping them find their way out of chronic pain.
- Chronic Knee Pain Treatments (answers.com)
- Neck Pain Treatment Options (answers.com)
- The Secret to Eliminating Chronic Pain Forever? [Biology] (io9.com)
- Four Steps to Erase Chronic Pain without Toxic Addictive Medications (prweb.com)
- Chronic pain has a price (kevinmd.com)
- HOW TO UNDERSTAND someone with chronic pain. UPDATE: A reader emails: “I can’t thank you enough… (pjmedia.com)